When I started reading BBQ forums a few years ago, I stumbled upon an appetizer that seems to be very popular with the BBQ crowd. They’re called Atomic Buffalo Turds or ABT’s. It’s basically a BBQer’s version of stuffed jalapeno poppers prepared on the smoker. For the longest time, I didn’t even attempt the recipe because my family doesn’t enjoy foods that are too spicy or hot. That is, until this summer. I started with sweet peppers and eventually tried jalapenos and all I can say is that I’m sorry I waited so long start cooking these.
Here’s the recipe.
- clean 18 jalapenos by cutting off the stem and slicing them lengthwise
- remove the seeds and ribs from inside the peppers (the more of these you leave in the pepper, the hotter the ABT will be)
- cut a package of regular bacon in half
- 18 peppers and a package of bacon cut in half roughly equals the same number of pepper halves and bacon pieces.
- fill each jalapeno boat with cream cheese and wrap with a half slice of bacon (note: some folks like to put a Little Smokey sausage in each popper or some pulled pork but we like ’em plain)
- pin the ends of the bacon together by inserting a toothpick through them and into the pepper
- I like to dust them with a BBQ rub before putting them on the cooker
- you can cook these direct or indirect but you want to keep the temps below 300 degrees
- they’re done when the bacon is crisp.
Note: I recommend using rubber gloves when handling the jalapenos. If you don’t have rubber gloves, just remember to keep your hands away from your face (or any other sensitive area if you know what I mean)
Try them, you won’t regret it. Heck, I’m gonna cook up a whole batch for Thanksgiving! 🙂
One thought on “ABT’s or Jalapeno Poppers”