As I’ve mentioned in the past, I’ve done cooking demonstrations for the local Big Green Egg dealer and have inadvertnetly become the resource for friends & neighbors who have questions about BBQ. Okay so maybe that wasn’t so inadvertent, but I do get asked for input to a variety of BBQ & grilling related questions and I’m quite long on opinion. =)
One of the most common questions I get is “Which Big Green Egg should I buy?”. And in my normal fashion, I answer that question with a question of my own. How many people are you going to cook for? Or, How much meat do you typically cook at one time?
I think these questions are much more relevant than the frequency with which you use your grill or even what things you like to cook. The latter is really a testament to the felxibility of the Big Green Egg. Grill (hot & fast) or smoke (low & slow), it’s the most versatile outdoor cooking device I’ve ever seen or used.
Nonetheless, here’s my recommendations for which BGE to buy.
- If you normally cook for less than a dozen people, I’d buy a large.
- If you normally cook for just your immediate family, I’d buy a large.
- If you like to accessorize your major purchases, I’d buy a large. There are tons more accessories from Big Green Egg and 3rd party manufactures for this size than any other.
- Now if, like me, every time you fire up the grill you draw a crowd, then I’d get an X-Large.
- To me, these sizes fit niche uses.
- I think a medium is a great addition for someone who already owns a Large, or wants to use it for times when you’re cooking for just yourself &/or your spouse.
- A small might be good for the RV, tailgaiting, or an activity where portability is important.
- Mini? I can’t think of a good use for a mini except maybe as a paperweight or conversation piece in your den. I just can’t imagine ever getting much use from that size Egg.
Well that’s the selection criteria as I see it. Am I right or wrong? Let me know by leaving a comment.