I knew there was a reason that I didn’t simply throw away the platesetter that I busted last year. I kicked it over and had to replace it, but I just couldn’t bring myself to discard it.
Lo and behold, I added a Bubba Keg to my arsenal this spring and needed a way to cook indirect. I finally got around to repairing the old platesetter (I had bought a new one for my Big Green Egg) for the purpose of using it with this cooker. I’d read quite a bit on the inte
rwebs about using JBWeld to repair busted ceramic, so I picked some up at the local do it yourself store.
I simply followed the directions, mixing together equal amounts of JBWeld from each of the tubes in the package. I applied it generously to the edge of the broken platesetter and let it cure for ~18hrs. It sure seems to be a solid “weld”, but the real test will be how it holds up to the temps on a BBQ smoker.
I’ll keep you posted on how it holds up, but as for now it’s doing fine with a load of pork steaks on the Bubba Keg.